BC Laws provides free public access to the current laws of British Columbia. This unofficial consolidation of B.C. Statutes and Regulations is updated as new and amended laws come into force. You can access any of the Acts and Regulations listed below (and others) from their website: www.bclaws.ca.
Please Note: This information is provided here for convenience, but it remains the responsibility of operators to check the rules and laws that apply to them. Check the 2016 and 2017 Cumulative Regulation Bulletins for non-consolidated amendments to these regulations that may be in effect.
OIL AND GAS ACTIVITIES ACT (OGAA)
Regulates oil and gas and related activities in B.C., including wells, facilities, oil refineries, natural gas processing plants, pipelines and oil and gas roads, through permits, authorizations, orders and regulations.
- Outlines requirements for consultation and engagement with land owners and rights holders on permit application and amendment. Link to guidance.
- Prohibits the issuance of a permit to convert a LNG facility pipeline into an oil or diluted bitumen pipeline.
- Regulates drilling, completion and production operations.
- Links to guidance available for wells, cores, hydraulic fracturing, storage reservoirs and oil and gas and water production.
- Regulates the planning for emergencies, with an all-hazards approach, and for the initiation of emergency response arising from oil and gas activity. Link to guidance.
- Sets out government's environmental objectives for oil and gas activities to enable environmental protection during the lifecycle of an oil and gas activity. Links to EPM Guideline and other remediation, reclamation and restoration guidance.
- Regulates permit expiration, special projects, release of information, surveys, taxation, etc.
- Regulates construction, maintenance, use and deactivation of oil and gas roads. Link to guidance.
- Regulates construction, maintenance, use and deactivation of pipelines. Link to guidance.
- Regulates distances for working near and for crossing a pipeline and all associated costs.
- Sets out the methods of delivery for documents and notices.
Provincial Acts referenced under OGAA
- Regulates oil and gas waste permits, such as air emissions.
- Regulates oil and gas Master Licences to Cut, cutting permits (link to guidance) and use of forestry roads (link to guidance).
- Regulates cultural and heritage (archaeology) sites in B.C. Link to guidance.
- Regulates Crown land licences of occupation, statutory right of ways and rents. Link to guidance.
- Regulates water use. Link to guidance.
Provincial Statutes relevant to OGAA
- Agreement with the Commission granting powers to the Commission to decide on applications for permission for non-farm use of identified ALR lands for oil and gas activities and ancillary activities. Link to guidance.
- Regulates B.C. environmental assessment processes for reviewable projects.
- Regulates Mines Act permits for oil and gas aggregate extraction. Link to guidance.
- Regulates subsurface tenures and royalties for oil and gas.
- Sets out terms and conditions of surface leases.
- Regulates water use, wells, dams, ground water protection, crossings and works in and about a stream that are not regulated by OGAA. Link to guidance.
- Regulates development and use of geothermal resources 80 degrees Celsius and above. Link to application guidance. Link to more information.
Federal Statutes relevant to OGAA
- Regulates Canadian environmental assessment processes for reviewable projects.
- Includes application of certain aspects of OGAA and its regulations to the Prince Rupert Port Authority lands for liquefied natural gas-related development.
- Includes application of certain aspects of OGAA and its regulations to Haisla lands for oil and gas development.
- Regulates and approves cross-border pipelines. Link to guidance.