Major Project Permit Types

There are various types of permits issued by the Commission for major projects, throughout the different phases of design and construction.  Permits that have been issued to date for a particular project, and associated construction plans, can be viewed on the individual project pages accessible via the Major Projects List.

Investigative Use Permits

Applications for Investigative Use Permits (IUPs) are often submitted in the early stage of a proposal to gain access to Crown land sites to determine how suitable the area is for the proposed development. The work performed is typically associated with small-scale geotechnical assessment of near-surface geology. The data gathered is used in both the environmental assessment and permitting processes.

Such field work can require:

  • Drilling boreholes (to shallow depths, with limited clearing and surface disturbances).
  • Associated new access construction (road, trail, or helicopter).
  • Temporary water use (small volumes, associated with borehole drilling).

Major Project Permits

Permits for natural gas pipelines (and related compressors, meter stations, etc.) or LNG Facilities are required before construction can start on a major project. Applications go through a thorough permitting process, described in our Permitting Process page. Approvals, issued under the Oil and Gas Activities Act (OGAA), contain specific conditions and requirements that the proponent must meet in order to be in compliance with the permit.

Specified Enactments

The Commission's regulatory responsibility is provided through OGAA and also includes specified enactments under the Forest Act, Heritage Conservation Act, Land Act, Environmental Management Act, and Water Sustainability Act.  Depending on the nature of the land ownership (Crown, Federal, or private), these enactments provide the authority for the Commission to issue or include authorizations related to cutting permits, water use, and land access, where appropriate.

Road and Ancillary Authorizations

Applications for Road and Ancillary Site (campsites, laydown areas, etc.) permits are typically received and reviewed during the construction phase of a project. 

The Commission also oversees the full lifecycle of a pipeline or facility, including compliance, enforcement, and any future site remediation.