The Area-based Analysis (ABA) approach has been developed by the BC Oil and Gas as a framework for managing the impacts of oil and gas development. It is an enhanced way of looking at the cumulative effects of all industrial development across the landscape when making decisions on oil and gas applications.
The Province of British Columbia defines cumulative effects as “changes to environmental, social and economic values caused by the combined effect of present, past and reasonably foreseeable future actions or events on the land base.”
Using ABA, Commission decision makers can assess the impact of proposed oil and gas activities on ecological, cultural and social values in the context of all other development activities. Broad landscape impacts on specific resource values can be considered when looking at specific applications or activities, rather than just the localized effects of one permit. ABA evaluates the overall landscape – including old forest, riparian reserves and wildlife habitat.
A new Supplementary Information for Area-based Analysis guidance document is now available online to assist with incorporating ABA in applications.
If you are unable to find answers to your questions in the material available:
- For comments/questions on the overall ABA program design and direction, next steps, permit conditions, planning considerations, and overall management please send an email to Nicole.Curnow@bcogc.ca
- For comments/questions about the data used, key assumptions, assessment methodology, discrepancies between the mapped data and field conditions, data errors, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
All of the key data is available for download. Detailed documentation and the specific GIS code is also available.
- Recorded Training on EPMG/EIMS Wildlife Updates, June 5, 2018
- Recorded Training Session on Environmental Planning and Operational Measures, and ABA Updates, August 2017
- EIMS Video Tutorial, August 2017
- Oil and Gas Land Use in Northeast British Columbia Report 2014
- Supplementary Information for Area-based Analysis - Guidance Document
- Area-based Analysis Overview
- ABA Data and Analysis Package for Northeast BC 2017
- Area-based Analysis Results for Northeast British Columbia 2014
- ABA FAQs (PDF Versions)
- ABA Data Analysis Package for Liard Unconventional Gas Basin 2013
- ABA Industry Training Presentation 2014
Area-based analysis maps are available for viewing or to download.
- ABA Northeast BC Old Forest Detailed Map 2018
- ABA Northeast BC Old Forest Overview Map 2018
- ABA Northeast BC Riparian Detailed Map 2018
- ABA Northeast BC Riparian Overview Map 2018
- ABA Northeast BC Wildlife Detailed Map 2018
- ABA Northeast BC Wildlife Overview Map 2018
- ABA OGMA Detail Status Map 2018
- ABA OGMA Overview Status Map 2018
- ABA BRFN Interim Management Areas 2018
Links to other initiatives addressing cumulative effects.
- BC Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations; Cumulative Effects program
- Alberta Energy Regulator and play-based initiative
- The PEMBINA Institute Pipeline Construction and Operation
- CEPA CAPP Pipeline Associated Watercourse Crossings 4th Edition 2012
- CAPP Geophysical Exploration Practices 2004
- Soil Conservation University of BC SoilWeb200
- British Columbia Rangeland Seeding Manual
- Northeast Invasive Plant Committee Peace-Liard Re-Vegetation Manual
- Native Plant Revegetation Guidelines for Alberta
- Golder Restoration Toolkit